Highlands Ranch is a popular community just south of Denver, CO. Its location close to many of Colorado’s natural attractions, including area parks and trails, makes it an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. For residents and visitors that prefer to keep their adventures inside, the community and surrounding suburbs offer many museums, art centers, and indoor sports activities.
SPORTS ACTIVITIES IN HIGHLANDS RANCH
- Highlands Ranch Golf Club – This magnificent semi-private golf club provides views of the Rocky Mountain Front Range as you work your way through the 18-hole course. The University of Denver gifted the club to the community in 2012.
- The Links Golf Course – A challenging executive course in Highlands Ranch. It is designed for all levels of golfers, whether you are interested in learning the sport or improving your game.
- Batter Up! – Whether your preference is baseball or softball, the batting cages at Redstone Park are a great way to practice your swing. The facility offers six cages and is open from March to November, weather permitting.
- Horseback trail rides – HRCA has one-hour guided horseback rides exploring the trails of the Backcountry Wilderness Area. With the Rock Mountains in the background, you’ll have opportunities to see some of the local wildlife which could include elk, prairie dogs, golden eagles, and more.
- Pools – Each of the four HRCA recreation centers have both indoor and outdoor swimming and water play areas. Lap pools provide weightless exercise and play structures allow for some quality family fun.
- Fishing – With a number of ponds in Highlands Ranch, there are many opportunities to relax with a little fishing. Some of the fish available include Largemouth Bass, Channel Catfish, and Bluegill. Be sure to follow Colorado fishing regulations and purchase a Colorado fishing license if over the age of 16. Please note that some ponds are catch and release only!
FREE THINGS TO DO IN HIGHLANDS RANCH
- Scenic trails – There are nearly 70 miles of trails within Highlands Ranch with difficulties for beginners to experts. Whether your preference is to bike, hike, snap photos, or just sightsee, one of the many trails throughout the community will meet your needs.
- Community and neighborhood parks – The District features 25 parks for all of your outdoor interests. Some of the parks are dog-friendly and have off-leash areas. Some have fountains to splash around in on hot days. Quite a few parks provide open spaces for Frisbee or a pick-up game of football, playgrounds, and picnic tables. Reservations can be made for many of the park shelters with prior notice and a fee.
- Highlands Ranch Mansion and Historic Park – Offering free guided or self-guided tours during select days and hours throughout the year. You can also rent the property for special occasions. This historic and architecturally unique structure sits on a 250-acre ranch in the center of the community of Highlands Ranch. It was initially named Rotherwood when first built in 1891 by Samuel Allen Long, one of Denver’s greatest promoters. Surrounding the mansion are manicured, picturesque grounds and spectacular views of the historic ranchland.
- Highlands Ranch Veterans Monument – Dedicated on July 1, 2009, to honor the service and sacrifice of the veterans of the United States of America. It began as a way to pay tribute to Army Staff Sargent Christopher Falkel, who was the first Highlands Ranch resident killed in action. There is no cost to visit this memorial to pay respects to military members, both veterans, and active duty. However, Dedication Tiles are sold and donations can be made for the maintenance of the monument.
If your adventures in Highlands Ranch include occasional use of recreational equipment, but you have no room in your home or apartment to keep them, consider renting a Highlands Ranch storage unit from STOR-N-LOCK Self Storage. We can provide a clean, affordable storage unit to stash away your skis, fishing gear, or sports equipment when not in use. Contact us today to discuss which unit size would be best for your needs.