Your money is important to you, so you look for any chance you can to save a few dollars. Why would this be any different when renting a storage unit? Prices can range between facilities, cities or regions of the country and with so many storage facilities to choose from, how can you know which have the best deals on storage units? Below are some tips to help you save some money when renting a storage unit near you.
Plan Ahead and Reserve Online
One way most people save money on their storage unit rent is by reserving ahead of time. You can easily compare prices, sizes, and features when you reserve a storage unit online. Many times, if you were to walk into a storage facility without having already reserved a unit, you are going to end up paying more than those that thought ahead and reserved online. Facilities often have lower “web-only specials” or rates and higher “walk-in” or street rates. Also, prices and promotions can change hourly based on the inventory of units available, so reserving online before you need to move in can ensure you get the price and promotion you saw on their website.
Book at the Right Time
Demand for storage dips in the winter time and then slowly increases and peaks in the summertime so accordingly, the best storage prices and deals are available in the “off-season” months like December and January. Check out the Google Trends chart below which shows how interest in “storage units” slowly grows and peaks in the summer before dipping back down again. If at all possible, plan to move and or need self-storage in the winter time to ensure you get the best deals.
Let’s Make A Deal
Why pay full price for your storage unit if you don’t need to? While terms and conditions will vary between storage facilities, you will usually find at least one active storage unit rental special. Be sure to check your local facility’s website or call their office for details on their current specials.
Examples of deals that may be offered at storage facilities:
- Free months – Often, this deal is available with the pre-payment of at least one month of rent. Depending on the rules of the facility, you may get the second month free, the third month free, or even the sixth month free.
- Free locks – This deal can be a great convenience! It happens often that renters get to their new unit and remember they didn’t buy a lock. With a free lock with the rental of a storage unit, you don’t have to worry about forgetting that important and necessary item.
- Discount on prepaid months – Prepaying your rent can ease the burden of remembering to make your monthly payments. As a reward for paying in advance, facilities regularly offer discounts of a certain percentage.
- Long-term discounts – Storage unit prices tend to be cheaper when you lock in long-term storage. Some deals at self-storage facilities reward those planning to store long-term by giving the 12th month free if you prepay for 11 months or discounting the rent each month.
- $1 for the first month – This discount may be given when autopay is selected as your regular payment option.
- 50% off first two months – This self-storage special is often exactly as stated without further requirements. However, be sure to check with individual facilities for their specific conditions.
- Military discounts – A lot of storage facilities proudly support our service men and women. In a show of appreciation, active military personnel can often save a certain percentage of the monthly unit rental. Some facilities also offer a discount for retired members.
- College student, senior, or AAA discounts – Many facilities will provide discounts for various demographics, especially if the facility is located near a major university or retirement communities.
Discounts at STOR-N-LOCK Self Storage
STOR-N-LOCK Self Storage understands that our customers want to rent affordable storage units. Because of this, we offer a variety of money-saving specials. We also offer deals on our moving and packing supplies available for purchase onsite.
STOR-N-LOCK Self Storage Discounts
- One Month Free – On select sizes (not 1st month free)
- 5% Discount – With 6 months prepaid
- 10% Discount – With 12 months prepaid
- 10% off Moving Supplies – With purchases of $25 or more
- 15% off Moving Supplies – With purchases of $50 or more
- 20% off Moving Supplies – With purchases of $100 or more
Almost all storage facilities will offer a discount of some sort, so no matter where you decide to store your treasured possessions, you’re sure to find a deal to make your storage a little more affordable. Especially if you remember to plan ahead and reserve online!
Find a STOR-N-LOCK Self Storage facility near you today to see our current unit availability and storage deals.